Pages

Monday 28 October 2019

Rootstech London 2019

You may have been aware that Rootstech came to London for the first time at the end of last week.  Rootstech is arguably the biggest of the Family History Conferences.  It took place at the London Excel centre on 24th to 26th October.

I was lucky and given the OK by my husband to attend on all three days as I had won a 3 day free pass.  I didn't enjoy the travelling; getting a train at about 7am and not getting home until 7 was very tiring.....yes, back to commuting during peak times.

A friend was there too but we didn't see much of each other as she was partly volunteering on the Guild of One Named Studies and we were often in different talks.

I attended 14 lectures by experienced researchers; I had a 1:1 with a professional researcher to try and solve Peter's Irish brickwall and a 1:1 with an experienced volunteer on the Society of Genealogist's stand for my Scottish brickwall.  I am afraid we didn't break down either of them but I have plenty of further resource links to go through now.  I saw a demonstration on an update to Family Historian, my family history software, and looking forward to it's release after Christmas.  I sat through several demonstrations on stands on Ancestry, FMP and Family Search.  I got freebies - bags, notebooks and pencils.  There were special prices, a chance to print big fan charts for free, cyber cafe's for researching whilst there, books and many, many exhibitors on a range of products, information and websites about family history.  I also chatted with people interested in the same topics as me and spoke to people from around the world....all sharing the same passion.  You had to pay for a pass to get to the lectures but the exhibition hall was free.  I'd go again if it comes, here's hoping it was successful and they want to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous Comments have been blocked.